Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Slint performing Spiderland @ The Fonda

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

10:10 p.m.

Arrive at the Fonda after an excellent avocado kobe burger at Lucky Devils.

10:20 p.m.

Run into Kurt, et al. before the set.

10:35 p.m.

As Slint takes the stage, the audience moves forward and leaves the comfortable mauve leather couches near the bar wide open. We move in.


10:37 p.m.

Once sitting, the crowd blocks my view of the band. I stand up to see if I'm missing anything.

Nope.

10:38 p.m.

The Fonda looks like it's made out of styrofoam and cooperatively painted in gold and cerulean blue by kindergarteners.

10:40 p.m.

Girls to the left of us in the bebe dresses will.not.shut.up. But the one in the polka-dot dress starts hopping from foot to foot like she's at a Hanson show, so I let it go.

10:43 p.m.

In the middle of "Nosferatu Man," I realize that Slint plays the same kind of creepy off-key slow rock I wrote in eighth grade coz I didn't understand chord progression or music theory.

10:50 p.m.

In the middle of "Don, Aman," I realize that 1) all of the members of Slint have, up to this point, stood completely still while playing, 2) the singer does not play an instrument, and 3) the back-up singer only sings in between licks; thereby exhibiting the same level of uncoordination I possessed in eighth grade.

10:51 p.m.

I realize that, although the members of Slint can put together a great song, they may be no more musically talented than I was in Jr. High.

11:00 p.m.

Committed to researching this theory.

11:20 p.m.

Theory supported by terrible "new song."

11:30 p.m.

Left early

But Spiderland still FUCKING ROCKS!

No comments: